[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:05:34 +0900

On 2/17/06, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nobody's talking about coddling.  We're talking cuddling and not beating.

Again, an argument based on simplistic and false dichotomies. Cuddling
is vital. So are chores and bedtime stories; my daughter got lots of
all these things. Spanking is useful only in moderation and only on
those young enough to learn its lesson without feeling horribly
humiliated.

If you must use political analogies, spanking isn't shock and awe or
razing cities and salting the earth. It's Bill Clinton quietly moving
two carrier battle groups to the vicinity of Taiwan when the PRC
started rattling its missles, an unequivocal statement that some forms
of behavior are unacceptable and will not be ignored.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.