[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have a Moral Urgency?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:39:10 -0400

Judy Evans wrote:

"But the CSIS are not convinced he isn't a member of Hezbollah?"

We aren't getting much information, just that CSIS has blocked his
citizenship after Immigration approved it, and that CSIS will get back
to us this Fall.  Those among us who have a more vivid imagination
suspect that CSIS is looking for any excuse to block his application
because he is Arab.  Others of us, including myself, believe that CSIS
is a bureaucratic mess and that they just haven't gotten around to his
file.  We were able to convince Immigration that he was not a likely
member of Hezbollah and all that information, including a letter of
recommendation from Immigration, went to CSIS.  We have been working at
this for many years so I believe he is not a high priority and his file
is languishing at CSIS.  Meanwhile his family, whom he hasn't seen since
he fled Lebanon, suffers in the refugee camp.  I am proud that Canada
took him in and is willing to consider giving him citizenship, but it is
shameful how long and difficult the process is.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON