[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have a Moral Urgency?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:01:21 -0400

Sorry, being anal, wasting a post.  I did my transliteration by singing the
words in my head.  Real quick, the last line is wrong.  Eric's
transliteration put the prepositions in the right places:
 na visokii bereg na krutoi ...
> Onto the steep riverbank ... [literally: onto the high riverbank, the
steep ...)

Reading Phil's posts, it makes me glad I don't have religion to base my
morality on.  I like Peter's sow/reap interpretation.  Tying into this is
choice. I don't believe there is such a thing as choice for most people,
there is only compulsion, in all areas, including war. Going to war is a
compulsion, it's pure emotion, probably even depression, but deciding to
stay out of war is a choice.  Diplomacy is by definition a cerebral act.
It takes thinking and negotiating and relating.  One might argue when one
side is vastly superior to the other side, attacking the smaller side is
downright cowardice.  What else can it be?  The irony, that Hezbollah and
even al Qaeda now are using honey to gain ascendency while the U.S. and
Israel are still out there with the vinegar and fly swatters.  What's wrong
with this picture?  Why can't we try a little honey?  Especially since
vinegar and fly swatters are going nowhere in Iraq, a lesson obviously lost
on both the Americans and the Israelis.

Kaytusha]