[lit-ideas] Re: Can we do what we ought to do? Is the Metropolit Orthodox?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:09:37 -0230

Maybe this would be a helpful way of putting things. (I'll avoid the references
to the postulations of a Supreme Lawgiver or Cause of Nature, because K.
believes, correctly in my view, that reliance on such a construct is a sign of
heteronomy in moral matters.)

I think K. believes that if we have an obligation to P, then we can P. The
converse is of course false. K. also believes that as the finite, fallible
beings we are, we have no certainty that any action performed is done from
duty. Actions performed in accordance with duty are demonstrable as such. But
whether our actions (or maxims) really are performed solely from (i.e.,
"determined in their ground by") the motive of respect for moral law is never a
question we can answer with certainty. (I like to think I make donations to our
campus foodbank for reasons other than the conditional desire to go to heaven,
should there be a god.) Thgis is not, alas, something I can know. Morality for
Kant is not a matter of theoretical knowledge; it commands, doesn't describe.
The moral worth of our dispositions is determined by the extent to which we try
to be moral agents. (Camus, again.) It's a kind of infinite task, given all the
great cars, etc. around to tempt us otherwise. (Interestingly, despite all the
supposed severity, austerity and rigour of Kant's moral theory, he says very
little about blaming people for doing wrong.)

 Cheers, Walter

Walter C. Okshevsky
Memorial U