[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have a Moral Urgency?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:41:45 +0100

It's not that Hezbollah blends into the Lebanese population, but rather that Hezbollah _is_ the Lebanese population - or at least that portion which supports it. If Hezbollah were strictly a military organisation I could take the point you are trying to make, or at least understand the argument, but it is not just a military organisation, it is also political and social in the sense that it organises and supports social programmes. To this extent, members of Hezbollah are, or can be, civilians by default rather than just military operatives. So to say that Hezbollah has been using civlians as shields is missing the point.

Additionally, it comes back to the mythologising of the notion of human shields. Who talks about human shields? It's not Hezbollah. What evidence is there for the use of human shields by Hexbollah? Are there any videos of civilians being paraded in front of rocket launchers? Of course not. It's the IDF and Israeli spokespeople who refer to human shields and they talk and talk until just by using the words it becomes a _fact_ that everybody knows about.

(I've read the Egeland quote and would like have to asked him about his sources. I don't believe Hezbollah would boast about the discrepencies in casualty figures. Note that if there's a quote from Hezbollah to the contrary I'll stand corrected.)

Take the aerial bombardment of Southern Beirut. It's a "Hezbollah Stronghold",. according to media reports. But what does that mean? Does it have walls and a citadel? No, it's made up of tower blocks with civilian apartments. A few apartments are no doubt home to Hezbollah members, but the majority aren't. Is this a another case of using human shields?

Now all this is not to say that Hezbollah fighters were not at any time using villages as cover at the same time as those villages were occupied by civilians. I've no doubt they were, but I'd lay odds that those villagers were not unsupporting of the fighters. Does that make them human shields?

Behind all this, once more, I have to mention Israel's hypocracy. During their occupation of Lebanon from 1982 to 2000, they supported the South Lebanon Army, a militia organisation much like Hezbollah. Supported in terms of providing money, weapons, uniforms, the lot. The SLA were reported to use torture and though Israel denies their involvement, they do not seem to deny that it took place.

Note also that Israel plays host to the 'Government of Lebanon in Exile'. On the one hand Israel says it's acting in support of the democractically elected government of Lebanon, on the other it supports what remains of the SLA and which acts as a proxi government of Lebanon based in Jerulsalem. Which is it to be and what would happen if Lebanon sent planes over the border to bomb the SLA headquarters?

Without the detail and supported by a great deal of mythologising, the conflict does sound so simple Phil. Hezbollah are terrorists and that's all you really need to know. But its not that simple, you know that, but aren't willing to deal with it.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>