[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 23:58:35 -0700

Andreas wrote below: "Look, this 'doggie dog world' and 'gotta show 'em
who's boss' and 'Leader of the Pack' and 'Call of the Wild' stuff is some
sort of American projection. A few weeks ago, Lawrence wanted to bomb the
rest of the planet. Last week, he wanted to shoot everyone. This week, he
beats his dogs into submission. Do you see a pattern here?"

I notice a pattern here Andreas.  You have provided a series of three
absurdly gross exaggerations.  Just take the last discussion about dogs.  I
said that Eric's statement should be taken figuratively but that the
principle was that you should show a dominant dog that you were dominant.
This is simple stuff Andreas.  If you have a dominant dog and don't show it
you are dominant then it will think it is.  I never said anything about
beating a dog.  I don't approve of beating dogs.  Showing a dominant dog
that you are boss is not dog-beating.  Eric used "dog-beating" terms but I
assumed he was speaking figurative.  I said that.

Bombing the rest of the planet?  This presumably is a gross-exaggeration of
the idea that it is unacceptable for Iran, a rogue nation that supports
terrorism to have atomic weapons.  Note that Iran is one nation and not the
whole planet.  Note also that I argued for diplomacy and was optimistic
about its chances.  Note also that the current news seems to support my
optimism.

As to wanting to shoot everyone, this is a gross exaggeration of my belief
that people should be allowed to defend themselves from predators and
criminals.

As to the rest of your note, the part that has nothing to do with me, there
have been studies about Pariah Dogs.  I've read several of them.  The Canaan
Dog from the Middle East and the Carolina Dog from the South are examples.
The tentative argument is that dogs left to themselves will assume this
general configuration.  But as to their being docile, forget it.

Lawrence