[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 11:53:48 -0400

Omar: I have a suspicion that 1) dominating the dog will often be done by a professional rather than the actual owner and 2) dogs usually tend to know quite well who their owners are, and hence allow themselves to be dominated by them.

I think Omar said he liked cats. That's why the concept of "dominating" seems so foreign to him. You can't dominate a cat...you merely bore them by trying.

The actual owner of a dog does have to establish an "alpha" relationship with the dog. That's why LH's engineer acquaintance had to give up his guard dog: the man was too old to effectively dominate a large and aggressive dog.

Cats think they are human. Dogs, on the other hand, think you are a dog. Dogs expect you to tell them their place in the social hierarchy. For example, you can't let a dog enter a room first, because that is what alphas do, and you would be essentially telling the dog that it is the boss.