[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:43:40 -0700

You may be misjudging Buddy.  What you describe is what any well-trained
guard dog should do.  He should prevent anyone from coming into the house
until someone further up the alpha-chain says it's okay.  After the okay is
given the visitor is safe.  Now whether Buddy would actually do anything if
you pushed the issue is debatable because so many large and potentially
dangerous breeds have had the "dangerous" pretty much bred out of them;
however, knowing something of the Bernese Mountain Dog's history might make
one wary of taking a chance:

From Simon & Schuster's Guide to Dogs, page 45: "The ancient Romans used
Bernese mountain dogs as fighting dogs and sent them into battle armed with
heavy iron-studded collars.  Subsequently the breed became excellent
guardians of the herds especially in the hilly regions of Switzerland.  They
are untiring, often unruly, resistant to the coldest winters, and excellent
defenders of stable or home.  Because of their amenability to training, they
have also been used by the police. . . ."

Lawrence