[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:37:07 -0700

People are reacting to Eric's comment, but I took him to be speaking
figuratively.   His principle is valid.  An owner must show a dominant dog
that he is boss or the dog will think he is.  I only had one dog that was in
that category and while the trainers said Susan and I should convince him we
were boss; no one suggested that we actually beat him.  Beating a dog would
make everything worse.  Most dogs I've had wouldn't dream of challenging us.
I mentioned Trooper as a very confident competent dog, but from the day we
brought him home, he never challenged either one of us.  And of course the
two we have now wouldn't dream of challenging us about anything, but if you
have a dominant dog, you had better figure out a way to show him you are
boss or you're going to be in trouble - and probably the dog will be as
well.

Lawrence