[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:05:46 -0700

What straw man?  I made a statement that I think all dog trainers will agree
with despite Andreas list; which doesn't support his thesis as far as I can
tell.  You must show a dominant dog that you are the alpha or he will be the
alpha.  If anyone sees a negative implications in this then they put them
there.  This is a simple fact - not a straw man.

One of the best ways to show a dominant dog that you are boss is to take him
on a lot of walks.  He wants to go.  You have the leash and can tell him to
stop at the corner, to go left rather than right, to take that junk out of
his mouth, etc.

To Mike:  Feeding a dog won't do it.  Taking a dog's dish away from him
while he is eating, however, will be one way to show your dominance.  If he
growls and keeps you from taking his dish, then he is dominant.

Lawrence