[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 21:48:26 -0700

Dogs in packs damage, kill, eat other dogs.

Not true.

Everyone knows there are cows in the streets in India. Yes, I saw quite a few cows wandering around.

But what I didn't expect was the dogs. There are thousands of dogs in the streets. They're everywhere. I'd guess there are several hundred thousand street dogs in Bangalore. Nobody owns them, they just live on the streets. In every block, there were maybe two or three dogs, sometimes five. They live totally free, doing whatever they please, walking around in traffic, sleeping on the sidewalk, whatever.

Nobody vaccinates them, nobody does anything about them. It's just dogs on the
streets.

I also noticed that the dogs didn't howl at night. There was no endless barking. The dogs mostly just slept. Laziest things I ever saw.

So, it's not true that dogs form packs and attack each other. The dogs in India don't. They're very docile. I went up to a few. They let themselves be petted on the head. They didn't mind at all.

Look, this "doggie dog world" and "gotta show 'em who's boss" and "Leader of the Pack" and "Call of the Wild" stuff is some sort of American projection. A few weeks ago, Lawrence wanted to bomb the rest of the planet. Last week, he wanted to shoot everyone. This week, he beats his dogs into submission. Do you see a pattern here?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com