[lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:35:03 EST

This recent thread on beauty and subjectivity keeps making me think of
Derrida's "Tympanum" (sp?  I'm too lazy to look it up, and I pulled a  muscle
in my
neck -- dunno how that happens) from Margins .....  one reason  I mentioned
him.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?
Date: 2/21/2007 5:04:08 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
By "they" I meant the whole troupe of German  Idealists. I actually
really like Heidegger, but for whatever reason I  never did develop any
serious interest in his work (like I have with  those from Kant up to
and including Schopenhauer).  I've read a  fair bit of Derrida, i.e. of
Grammatology, Writing and Difference,  Margins of Philosophy, Rogues,
but I can't say I'm particularly fond  of the deconstructionist
program.  It seems to me like a somewhat  cheap Hegelianism.  I did
like the second essay on reason in  Rogues. I read something by Lacan
once, though I can't remember what.  I recall not being able to make
heads or tails of  it.
Erin
Toronto

Quoting  JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx:

> How d'ya feel about Heidegger, Erin?   (btw, who's "they"?)  If  you ever
dip
> your toe into Derrida  or Lacan, I'm sure you commentary will be
enlightening
> and  entertaining.
>
> Julie Krueger
>
>  ========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re:  Beauty,
anyone?
> Date: 2/21/2007 2:39:00 P.M. Central Standard Time   From:
> _erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx  (mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
>  _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)    Sent on:
> Quoting Paul Stone   <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> The whole world is  a
>>  subject.
>>

> And then, only when the  subject identifies itself as a  subject (i.e.
> becomes  self-conscious), will the Absolute be fully  realized!  It was
>  writing about Hegel that made me realize how  truly odd the man  was.
> But they were all  odd.
> Erin
>  Toronto

>  To  change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation  on/off,
> digest  on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

AOL now offers  free

--
Erin