[lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:53:16 EST

How does something being subjective render it meaningless?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?
Date: 2/19/2007 10:11:46 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Beauty means anything to anybody.  To talk  about beauty is basically to talk
about opinion.  Beauty is so subjective  that it's meaningless.  Rather than
Santayana or Rilke, how about the eye  of the beholder...

Regarding art, think Hieronymus Bosch's stuff is  beautiful?  It's great art
though.  How about a hanging toilet?   Impressive enough to hang in museums.
Art, in my opinion, has little to  with "beauty," certainly in the 20th
century, but even historically.