To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:38 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?

On 2/21/07, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree that study can add a layer or a multitude of layers of complexity to
any object of study, even to pink wallpaper with sea shells.

"that we once again talk about beauty as "identical with the
spark of desire." A beautiful object is, quite simply, one that
beckons us to it."

Nehamas points to an experience that I have then likened to falling in
love. That is the heart of the matter, not the mind's ability, thanks
to a basic property of language,  to spin endless associations for
anything whatsoever.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN