[lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:47:04 -0500

>>The recognition of beauty is, in effect, falling in love, not in the
casual "Oh, isn't she pretty" or "God I'd like a piece of that"
infatuated sort of way, but in the way that leads people to stay
together for a lifetime, treasuring the moments they spend together,
and coming, as love deepens, to the realization that each is
indispensable to the other.

Long been toying with a poem, noodling a personal aesthetic, which has the line:

beauty, which is the self organized by surprise

Trying to express the surprise element of art, the surprise of beauty, the novel arrival of beauty, and how the harmony of beauty, which is always a surprise, changes us, reorganizes us around it.

Thinking of Rilke's epitaph:

Rose, oh reiner Widerspruch,
Lust,
Niemandes Schlaf zu sein
unter soviel Lidern.

[Rose, oh pure contradiction, joy
of being No-one's sleep under so many
lids.]

Surprise, of course, being different from shock. Surprise not threatening us. So I found in Scarry's contention that beauty is always unprecedented, an acknowledgment of surprise.