[lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:16:54 -0500

On 2/19/07, Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've seen friendships end over the question of beauty. (Maybe David
Ritchie's better qualified to address part of this.) Two friends -- one
a prizewinning poet, the other a professor at CalArts -- got into it one
night at a party. The professor (a charming Australian woman who makes
installations)

perhaps "makes installations" is a tell.

insisted that beauty was totally irrelevant to artistic
projects. The poet (who lives with his wife and family in the foothills
of the Flatirons) insisted that she was merely following fashionable
nonsense, which if practiced globally, would lead to the literal end of
all art. They never got over it. After that night, they never spoke
again. They had known each other for years. (I first met her at his
wedding.) Beauty is a dangerous topic.

It's a pity when people can't see the truth about beauty.
Great story. I've lost friends over similar irreconcilable differences.

convinced that art is never 'built',