[lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:39:27 -0600

JK:
Only the most important topics are dangerous.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that.  I would however agree that the most
dangerous topics are always important.

Mike Geary
generally considered a dangerous man
in Memphis
especially when driving

        Date: 2/19/2007 11:45:48 A.M. Central Standard Time
        From: mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  I've seen friendships end over the question of beauty. (Maybe David
  Ritchie's better qualified to address part of this.) Two friends -- one
  a prizewinning poet, the other a professor at CalArts -- got into it one
  night at a party. The professor (a charming Australian woman who makes
  installations) insisted that beauty was totally irrelevant to artistic
  projects. The poet (who lives with his wife and family in the foothills
  of the Flatirons) insisted that she was merely following fashionable
  nonsense, which if practiced globally, would lead to the literal end of
  all art. They never got over it. After that night, they never spoke
  again. They had known each other for years. (I first met her at his
  wedding.) Beauty is a dangerous topic.