[lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:08:51 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

A beautiful object is, quite simply, one that
>beckons us to it.

Mmm, let's see, a chain saw murderer might be beckoned by a chain saw; someone
with an eating disorder might be beckoned by excess food, an addict might be
beckoned by drugs ... Not things that most people would consider beautiful.
Some in fact might be repelled by these objects.  Therefore, a beautiful object
*to us* is, quite simply, one that beckons us to it.  But a beautiful object
per se cannot be generalized, possibly cannot even be imagined.