[lit-ideas] Re: Beauty, anyone?

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:14:04 -0500

>>"Interpreation" is so meaningless it becomes subjective.

It's time to bring in the military officer from Monty Python to sort you guys out. Right then.

(1) Unless you've spent at least 15,000 hours studying a subject, your interpreation of it is absolutely insignificant. After that, we can give a listen to your cerebrations. Until then, start studying.

(2) Beauty is important. It has been exhaustively defined. It's real and there are standards for it. It is presently under house arrest in the British Museum, the Tate, the New York Metropolitan Museum, and a few places in France. Your opinions don't matter.

(3) "Subjective judgment" is another term for ill-educated, populist vanity that would elevate Elvis to the level of Handel. It's hogwash, but we allow the masses to indulge in these judgments because it makes them feel better about their squalid lives. Sure Elvis is a great artist, now get back to work!

(4) Discussions must have rules and all peripheral chatter must be extirpated. Take for example this post ...

Right then.

Signing off,
Bentley Psmith Wallingsford-Chum, Bart.
Keeper of the Royal Beauty