[lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely Useful Thought

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:54:04 -0600

An outstanding post, Lawrence, and a legitimate request.

On Jan 7, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

I have been talking about reasoned argument. This is not an unreasonable request. One doesn’t need to get on a high horse to expect it. If I have produced an argument and you disagree with it; then refute by using a counter argument. Don’t swear at me. Don’t insult me. Don’t use some cheap ad hominem pejorative like accusing me of being on a high horse. Don’t even focus on me or on Eric or on Brian. Quit criticizing our personalities, backgrounds, and blood-thirstiness. Produce arguments. Produce arguments that can be substantiated as being logical. Look at the issues, their backgrounds, what led up to them, the evidence and then don’t go beyond the evidence in drawing your conclusions.