[lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely Useful Thought

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 16:42:21 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Whatever you say, Lawrence.  We (Bremer) disenfranchised them, all of them, after being told not to.  If you have other information, fine.

There have never been as many ultra wealthy, as in 1% owning something like 60% or more of the wealth of the country.  It used to be about 20% owning the wealth even as recently as the 1980's.  What I would do with them?  I would tax them fairly, the way historically they have been taxed, and I would cut the welfare to their corporations.  You're the Communist in the family.  You'd probably have them shot.  Don't tell me I'd support revolution when I would absolutely not, repeat: NOT support revolution, under any circumstances, ever.

We don't need Iraq's oil but we need oil, and the way we can't get Iraq's oil may be the way we won't be able to get any Middle Eastern oil.  Why do you think the Iraq situation is so catastrophic?  We're beholden for our oil the way we're beholden for our money.  So you're right, we better hope China doesn't collapse or decide to cash in their debt as a bloodless way to wage war.  Chances are they won't, but we are at their mercy not to, especially as they develop new markets, including their own consumers.  By then it won't matter since we're on a third-world slide anyway.  Our biggest employer is Walmart; we're back to extended families because kids can't afford houses, even as the 1% of the wealth holders of this country are citizens of Davos and the world.  They don't care about this country or they wouldn't be exporting jobs so they could get rich.  They stay here because they're not taxed.  Yes, not taxed, as in at all.