[lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely Useful Thought

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:37:19 +0900

Dear Andy,

I am sixty-two years old, a new grandfather, happily married for 37 years,
father of a daughter of whom I am inordinately proud, a principal in a
moderately successful business, and a published author. I assure you that my
remarks have nothing whatsoever to do with bolstering a lack of self-esteem.

Allow me to ask you a question. When people return endlessly to the same
small set of ideas and appear to derive some sort of perverse satisfaction
from repeating them in arguments that clearly will have no resolution unless
one side or the other is willing to change, what would you call it? Perhaps
"folie a deux" is a bit strong. I once read a book by a family therapist who
talked about "the dance of anger." Perhaps that would be better.

John

On 1/8/07, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 "Nor is this an accusation that either of you is insane, outside this
particular discussion."

Thank you for the kind thought.

As far as your not reading my posts, your dismissive attitude presupposes
that you have the answers, or are at least the most reasonable, most open
minded of the bunch.  Uninformed plebes like me simply delete posts I don't
like unless I'm directly responding to them.  It's good that you
congratulate yourself and that you agree with yourself.  It's healthy to
hold yourself in such high esteem.  I regret that you need to raise that
esteem higher by tearing others down.  Are you having a bad day, John, that
you need to remind yourself of your worth?  If so, I'm sorry that's the
case, and that you can't build yourself up without tearing someone else
down.  Maybe that's what you consider good marketing.

BTW, given that I brought up the colonists in the first place, thanks for
making my case with your quotes regarding Washington, which of course, you
made skillfully and with great art.  Have a nice night John, and I hope you
feel better.