[lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely Useful Thought

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:52:33 -0800

Simon:

I checked my notes and discovered that I read Horowitz' Unholy Alliance,
Radical Islam and the American Left back in January of 2005.  There was
considerable controversy here on Lit-Ideas as I recall.  Friends (I assume
they are friends) of yours cried "foul," "witch-hunt," "suppression of
free-speech," and probably some other cries that I've forgotten.

You placed a different emphasis on my statement about Horowitz' career than
I intended.  I admit to the ambiguity and can see how you could interpret it
as you did, but I didn't intend for Horowitz to be the focus of that
sentence.  I intended that the inference to be drawn was that there were so
many Leftists colluding with so many Radical Islamists that someone was able
to make a career out of exposing them.  So many are being exposed that a
"cottage industry" (to use a favorite expression of a former Lit-Ideas
member) can be said to have arisen with that purpose in mind.  I believe
Ward Churchill was one of Horowitz' early projects.  I don't recall whether
he was the prime exposer of Churchill or if he just added fuel to the fire.
Leftists responded by saying that Ward's freedom of speech was being
infringed, but those interested in curtailing his activities denied that.
He could have as much freedom of speech as he liked.  He just couldn't use
it to indoctrinate students in government funded universities.  Records of
his anti-American class lectures were recorded and used as evidence against
him.  It turned out that he had other problems.  There was something
relating to his academic background, but I can't recall the details.
Perhaps it was that he didn't have the degree that his position normally
called for.  But there was also the fact that he claimed to be an Indian and
speak for American Indians.  It turns out that there is no evidence that he
is an Indian.  The several members of tribe he claimed to be from admitted
that they knew him.  They said he started showing up at their political
meetings, but he wasn't related to anyone they knew.  I listened to
Churchill at some length on CSpan.  He spoke to this and said the Indians
were so mistreated that they didn't have the chance to keep good records.
So who were his critics to say whether or not he was an Indian?  He ought to
know whether he was one.

As an aside, I had some experiences along those lines.  I grew up hearing
that I was 1/16th Indian.  When I went into the Marine Corps they put "blood
type B" on my dog-tags.  Later I learned that blood type is prominent in
American Indians and relates well to Asians on the other side of the land
bridge that once existed between Siberia and Alaska.  What better evidence
could I have than that?  But many years later one of my daughters became a
Mormon and interested in genealogy.  She had a vested interest in being able
to prove that we had some Indian ancestry.  If she could prove it, that
would enable her kids to go to college on the government.  But she couldn't
prove it and she tried long and hard.  She ended up thinking it wasn't true.
Later still I went in for some sort of routine test that they subject old
people to and I noticed on some form that they said my blood type was
something other than B.

"Hey, you've made a mistake.  My blood type is B.  It was written right
there on my dog-tags.  I remember that vividly."

"I'm sorry sir, but there could not have been a mistake."

Since that time I've been checked again with the same result and they remain
convinced that I'm not blood type B.  Ah well, I had a good time as a kid
playing the Indian when we played "cowboys and Indians."  I suppose no harm
was done.  Thankfully, the Marine Corps never had to give me a transfusion.

Back to the collusion between Leftists and Radical Islam:  Yes, Horowitz has
a lot of evidence to show this collusion.  They attend each others meetings.
They contribute to each others causes.  They often took a united stand
against or for one thing and another.  Their slogans, chief assertions,
favorite expressions coincided as they jointly opposed America and supported
America's enemies in various ways.  Another of Horowitz' projects was a
University professor from Florida who at least lost his job and may have
ended up in jail.  I can't recall the details but it may have been that he
was the front for some radical Islamic organization that was on some
government list.  I knew someone who attended his college.  She hadn't taken
any classes from him, but he was the talk (if not the scandal) of the
campus.

I haven't kept up with Horowitz' activities.  One Leftist or Radical
Islamist sounds pretty much like another.  I was outraged for awhile against
Churchill but my outrage-meter dropped lower and lower as time went on.  I
have the impression that there are fewer of these guys having there own way
than before Horowitz began his efforts; so I'll settle for that and focus on
other matters.

Lawrence

  _____

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> No point in going too deeply into this.  I have expressed my disgust,

> irritation, and annoyance over Leftist who can't argue.

Lawrence, the problem is you.

- You don't understand what you read. You misunderstood Fukuyama. You don't
realize that

Huntington's "clash of civilizations" is a useless idea.

- You don't understand what is going on in Iraq (you think it is about
"terrorists").

- You see a video of Saddam's hanging and you misunderstand the situation.

- You think anyone who doesn't support you is a "Leftist" (which is utterly
meaningless in

this discussion because Iraq is about geopolitics, not economics).

- And you constantly call for perpetual war against everyone who is
different. Kill. Kill.

Kill.

Am I missing any more items?

yrs,