[lit-ideas] A Genuinely Useful Thought

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthro-L <ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 01:23:59 +0900

From anthropologist/marketing guru Grant McCracken (
http://www.cultureby.com/):

"But I digress.  The point I wish to make here is that fantastic
intellectual resources are now locked up in the "critical" school of
cultural commentary.  We can only release these resources when we persuade
the offenders to give up judgment and take up the work of explanation, or at
least investigation.  More plainly, no more pony rides on the high horse of
righteous indignation....Cease and desist judging us from on high.  Or as my
dear friend Hargurchet Bhabra used to say, it isn't popular culture anymore,
it's our culture.  Judge it if you must, explain it if you can."

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN