[lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely Useful Thought

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:55:28 EST

Sorry, I'm apparently more obtuse than usual today.  Does "their"  refer to
the majority of civilians?  Iraqi military?  Iraqi  police?  "Many" -- what
does that mean?  Who has done a census of  sorts to determine what "many" Iraqi
civilians, military, or police think?   And finally, so I can understand,
defending themselves specifically against  whom?  One another?  Iran?  Israel?
The
U.S.?   Insurgents?  Al Qaeda?  None of the above?  All of the  above?  some
of the above depending on which Iraqi you're not asking?

Julie Krueger
insipid and blizzarding e-mails because I couldn't respond for a few  days.
Catch-up is hell, as we all know after an office  vacation.

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely Useful
Thought  Date: 1/11/2007 1:04:18 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Julie Krueger read my  phrase, “We shouldn’t let their ignorance stampede
us,
” and asked, “Their”  ignorance of what, specifically?
There ignorance about  what they are facing.  Many of them overestimate their
ability.   We don’t want to take them at their self-estimation if we don’t
believe  they are truly capable of defending themselves.  We need to do our
best to  make them capable.
Lawrence