[Linux-Anyway] Re: Mandrake-bashing (was: refugee)

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:21:47 +0200

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:55:14 -0400
HaywireMac wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:47:17 +0200
> Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx> uttered:
>
> > Then please find a chance to play with Gentoo. If you're not
> > impressed, I'll have to try Slack :-)
> >
> > I'm bloody well impressed with Gentoo. First of all, the performance
> > - I expected the software to be much evolved since SuSE 7.1,
> > somewhat more bloated and slower, but hell no - it's blazing fast.
> > It really does feel as if I had installed a faster CPU. Certainly,
> > part of it is due to the faster reiserfs, but I think that the
> > optimisation is the main cause. Then there's also portage. It is,
> > FWIW, the best I've seen so far.
>
> The thing I liked to hear about Slack is that it is highly
> standardized when it comes to compiling from source, ie. as opposed to
> MDK which puts everything in non-standard dirs. How is Gentoo with
> that? Since it is so much based on compiling from source, I would
> imagine it is very"standards compliant", no?

I haven't been checking that (I only used portage to install programs
until now), but since the ebuilds aren't really packages, but a kind of
Makefile telling portage how to download, compile and install the
standard packages, it's nearly mandatory that it follows the standard.
In many cases, portage downloads tarballs from the developer sites, so
it just automatises what you'd otherwise have to do manually.

> I like the "cutting edge" thing with Gentoo, but I like the
> "historical background and tradition" thing with Slack, so hard to
> decide. I think from doing some reading the last couple of days that
> those are my main choices right now.
>
> Portage and the speed factor seem to be pushing me toward Gentoo.

I think that from now on I'll always be using a source-based distro for
the machine I use most and have time to tinker with (not that there's
much to tinker with - it's just that installing takes much time), and
something binary-based for machines that are not that important.
What the hell, get both and compare yourself. Don't trust me.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714