[Linux-Anyway] Re: Mandrake-bashing (was: refugee)

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

  HaywireMac,

> Ooooh great, even more choices, LOL! Ok, that's it, my next
> order of business is to scrape together some cash and get
> another machine so's I can try them *all*.

> Ya, FreeBSD sounds tempting too, not even Linux, right? Unix in
> it's entirety, the real deal. I *am*, unlike Godwin, a
> multimedia junky, though, how is BSD on that kinda thang?

  I've only tried FBSD once, 4.0, which didn't work out for me.
But in conversations with Scott, I've found that multimedia isn't
oe of FBSD's greatests concerns just now.  While much of the
software for Linux has either been ported (one way or the other),
or one compiles Linux compatibility into the kernel & one runs
Linux as if it were ~for~ FBSD, multimedia doesn't seem to work
as well...if at all.

  I can't say for sure, but you may be better off sticking with
Linux for now, just as I.  FBSD will get there, but not yet.

  I'm soon to switch from RH to gentoo.  There are many reasons
for this -- not to mention what RH keeps doing to perfectely good
Linux -- like gaming.  Gentoo will run ports of many dos/windows
games without trouble (unlike RH) & there are numerous emulators
for gentoo to play lots of other games -- even many dos/windows
games you have lying round from the misguided M$ past;-).

  Meph

--
  When I left you, I was but the pupil.  Now, I am the master.
  -Darth Vader