[Linux-Anyway] Re: Mandrake-bashing (was: refugee)

  • From: Scott Robbins <scottro@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:05:09 -0400

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:21:27PM +0200, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> Mon, 13 Oct 2003 05:24:37 -0400 scripsit HaywireMac:
>
> > Would you recommend Slack over Gentoo?
>
> Today, yes. After I've had a chance to play with Gentoo, I don't know. Your
> best bet it to ask people who've played with both.

Hrrm, that's a hard question.

Gentoo has become so popular, in large part (imo) due to the excellent
documentation, that you can find an ebuild for almost anything--the
trouble is that it doesn't always work, though that has improved
tremendously.

Slack is probably easier to install (and far quicker).  As Godwin said,
there aren't necessarily that many packages out for it.  It seems (to me
at least) more stable, but that's an impression, not a benchmarked test
result.  Gentoo seems faster.  As it's increased in popularity, there's
also a more stable version, and even some binary installs.  (Building
the entire system from source can take days on a slow machine, and a day
on a fast one).

I still prefer Arch to either of them.  :)  Of course, I also prefer
FreeBSD to Linux--even 5.1 release which is not considered production
ready is running quite well on a few non-critical production machines at
work.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: What a day. Gimme a beer.
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
(Anya glares at him.)
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
Anya: I'm eleven hundred and twenty years old! Just gimme a
frickin' beer!
Bartender: (deadpan) ID.
Anya: (sigh) Gimme a Coke.