[Linux-Anyway] Re: Mandrake-bashing (was: refugee)

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:47:17 +0200

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:21:27 +0200
Godwin wrote:

> Mon, 13 Oct 2003 05:24:37 -0400 scripsit HaywireMac:
>
> > Howz that? I try to configure everything by hand, ie. from the
> > command line, I don't use Webmin or the Wizards to config Postfix or
> > Apache or anything for that matter. I'm familiar with just about
> > everything in/etc, I don't see where they're hiding anything from
> > me.
>
> In that case you're one big step closer to getting along with a more
> open distribution. Hand editing /etc/* is fine as long as you NEVER
> EVER touch the GUI tools again because they will clobber your
> hand-crafted configuration and replace it with what they think is
> appropriate.

SuSE checks the config files for modifications, and leaves them alone if
they're hand-edited, saving its configuration as $CONFFILE.suseconfig.
Most of the files concerned (those handled by suseconfig) will have a
header asking you not to edit this file and put your changes into
another (mostly with the suffix .local), which is sourced in the file.
Which goes to show that tools don't necessarilly collide with editing
config files. It worked, but it is a nuisance. The only instance of SuSE
really pissing me off was when I tried to configure SuSE's Apache on the
secondary DNS of our network to display Nagios CGI's, and couldn't,
because SuSE supplied broken modules, which broke the authentication.
Incidentally, yast was broken as well. The specific advice on SuSE's
webpage didn't work either. I fscked around with it far too long before
I decided to just evaporate the Apache and install a nice, clean one
from sources, which needless to say worked right away.

> > Would you recommend Slack over Gentoo?
>
> Today, yes. After I've had a chance to play with Gentoo, I don't know.
> Your best bet it to ask people who've played with both.

Then please find a chance to play with Gentoo. If you're not impressed,
I'll have to try Slack :-)

I'm bloody well impressed with Gentoo. First of all, the performance - I
expected the software to be much evolved since SuSE 7.1, somewhat more
bloated and slower, but hell no - it's blazing fast. It really does feel
as if I had installed a faster CPU. Certainly, part of it is due to the
faster reiserfs, but I think that the optimisation is the main cause.
Then there's also portage. It is, FWIW, the best I've seen so far.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714