[Linux-Anyway] Re: Mandrake-bashing (was: refugee)

  • From: HaywireMac <haywiremac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:55:14 -0400

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:47:17 +0200
Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx> uttered:

> Then please find a chance to play with Gentoo. If you're not
> impressed, I'll have to try Slack :-)
>
> I'm bloody well impressed with Gentoo. First of all, the performance -
> I expected the software to be much evolved since SuSE 7.1, somewhat
> more bloated and slower, but hell no - it's blazing fast. It really
> does feel as if I had installed a faster CPU. Certainly, part of it is
> due to the faster reiserfs, but I think that the optimisation is the
> main cause. Then there's also portage. It is, FWIW, the best I've seen
> so far.

The thing I liked to hear about Slack is that it is highly standardized
when it comes to compiling from source, ie. as opposed to MDK which puts
everything in non-standard dirs. How is Gentoo with that? Since it is so
much based on compiling from source, I would imagine it is very
"standards compliant", no?

I like the "cutting edge" thing with Gentoo, but I like the "historical
background and tradition" thing with Slack, so hard to decide. I think
from doing some reading the last couple of days that those are my main
choices right now.

Portage and the speed factor seem to be pushing me toward Gentoo.

--
HaywireMac ++ ICQ # 279518458
Registered Linux user #282046