Re: the best M body ...

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:41:08 -0700

Steve:
My 2 cents:
If my M3 had TTL metering, it'd be my most-used Leica M... and I have three of them. The focusing is very easy due to the rangefinder's excellent contrast and the finder is very bright. My most-used lenses are 50mm and 90mm, so its 0.91 viewfinder magnification presents large frames for these lenses.

I also have an M6 TTL 0.85 and an M7 0.72. I use the M7 most due to its metering, extreme quietness and exposure automation. When I really want to see as much as possible with telephoto lenses I use the M6 TTL 0.85.

I don't like the slowness of setting exposure and creating a picture with the M3: Aim the camera at the critical part of the subject, press the button on the Leicameter MR-4, transfer the aperture to the lens, recompose and critically focus, shoot. Takes too long for rapidly-changing stuff if your light's contrasty. Once you have the exposure set in fairly constant light you're OK, but I'm lazy - I want it to be faster and easier so I can check each shot!

At 05:13 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:

I'm curious...but never used an M3...

Leica M3...?  the best built M body ever  ?   with the best
viewfinder of all ?

is this the common wisdom?

is it true?

other pro's/cons?

other thoughts, or considerations about the best M3 of all  ?

anyone care to compare, especially to  M5, M6 M7  ....

Steve

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!