Re: the best M body ...

  • From: "Dave Saalsaa" <dsaalsaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:20:54 -0500

Hi Steve,
I would have to agree that the M3 is probably the best built of all of the Leica M's. I have two M3s and find them to be very smooth and very quiet to operate. Workmanship was said to reach the pinnacle at serial numbers approaching the 1 million mark. Early versions tended to have a few problems which were taken care of in later versions. Single stroke film advance more robust than the double stroke. Better damping on shutter curtains. Metal film pressure plate replacing the glass pressure plate of earlier versions. Improved viewfinder with depth of field indicators. Don Goldberg of DAG repairs seems to feel the later third version M3's were the best built of all the Ms. and I would tend to believe him.

Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>