[JA] E-mail was meant to be free

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:47:58 -0400

> Subject: [JA] Re: E-mail was meant to be free
> From: George Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>

GL>  but they insisted on trying to make up for losses on
> each individual account through increased volume!

As long as they were getting paid at a similar rate to television, they
had a reasonable hope to grow into profitability.  Last year's CPM price
slide made that impossible.  Besides, it could have been worse.  They
could have followed the advice of some of our fellow listateers and left
online time unlimited, thus increasing the loss per account.

GL> Juno and Netzero "claiming" to be the Number 2 sized
> ISP after the merger will collapse like a house of cards...
> that claim will last about a week if they cut off all the folks
> hanging around both of these services for their e-mail.

Subscriber numbers that make no profit are empty numbers; no use hanging
onto a "We're Number Two" claim if it remains an empty boast.  I guess my
main remaining hope is that we few million users of Juno free mail will
get an official "Pay or leave" threat, months before the axe falls.
Probably most of us have no other mail accounts.  Fortunately, people who
are cut off from Juno Web due to exceeding the never specified time
limits still have mail.  So far.

What surprises me is that those who are cut off this summer usually are
not told they can get more Web time by paying.  They are merely
disconnected after a minute online, and left to assume Juno is broken.
Madness to drive away potential paying customers in ignorance, so they
end up paying AOL.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org