[jhb] Re: SRA

  • From: Phil Reynolds <phil.reynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:49:36 +0100

I must admit to only knowing the very basics of the SRA procedure but is the sort of thing that whets my appetite for getting back into the ATC chair (been out of it for what seems ages now). I might have to give it a go sometime soon if I can get a half decent mentor (wonder who would fit the bill there then <g>)

Phil

Fossil wrote:
Indeed.

An SRA is a joint procedure and responsibilities are shared between the
controller and pilot. With an ILS or other procedural types of approach the
captain remains responsible for all navigation and is solely in command of
the approach. With an SRA the controller becomes responsible for centreline
guidance and passes altitude/height advisories to the pilot to enable him to
calculate his rate of descent. The pilot is still responsible for working
out his MDH and MAP so he still needs the plates in front of him.

An SRA in FS is tame by comparison to real life. FS doesn't suffer from
sudden winds shifts or eddies from nearby hills and it doesn't emulate the
wind backing and decreasing as you descend. In real life you cannot give the
pilot a single good heading to keep him on the centreline - it is constant
heading changes during the descent. In nasty weather it is a real battle to
keep the aircraft on track.

I never had the chance to use a PAR which gave the controller vertical
guidance as well. PAR's were withdrawn just after I started in ATC although
Dublin kept their system going for a few years longer. I think the civil use
of PAR's was stopped after a couple of accidents.