[jhb] Re: SRA

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:38:35 +0100

Again, from what you say below, it doesn't sound like it was an SRA he was
asking for. A pilot cannot set up any procedures for an SRA as all he does
is fly the approach ask directed by the controller.

For an SRA a controller needs to have the approach centreline up on the
radar display and an SRA chart showing the heights and distances on the
approach. You vector the aircraft onto final as normal but then continue
with heading instructions to keep the aircraft on the centreline. You also
give the aircraft height checks every half mile so he can check his descent
profile. At 2nm (sometimes 0.5nm depending on the radar type) you terminate
the approach and the pilot has to land or go around depending on whether he
can see the runway or not.

An SRA is a tricky procedure because it puts control directly into the hands
of the controller. If you get it wrong you can literally talk the aircraft
into the ground - which is why we practise it for months before doing an SRA
for real. The procedure involves quite specific radio instructions which can
be found in CAP413.

Because the procedure requires constant radio instructions from the
controller it is usually done on a separate frequency as you do not have the
time to talk to other aircraft. Indeed the talkdown for a half mile SRA is
continuous and the controller doesn't release the transmit key from the time
the aircraft gets onto final until the talkdown is terminated.

It's been so long since I did an SRA that I doubt I could do one properly
now - it takes a few before the patter comes back properly.