[iyonix-support] Re: Abyssmally slow ethernet

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:11:24 +0100

In message <4d55c97b4ea28002f44e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2007, Alan Adams wrote:
>> In message <4d55c97b4ea49df9f34e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> Because the problems also show up when using a PC, you can eliminate
>> the Iyonix-to-switch part of the network. The only common link is the
>> switch-to-NSLU part. Concentrate on that.
>>
>> As others have suggested, there is a suspicion that it may be due to
>> the disc being NTFS format - Linux doesn't support NTFS well, as it is
>> comletely undocumented. Using ext2 or ext3 is likely to be more
>> reliable, as these are Linux native formats.

> It is begining to look like the NSLU2 is a 'Not Fit For purpose'
> jobbie. Its latest firmware is supposed to work with NTFS drives,
> which is why I bought them both (NSLU2 with NTFS firmware, and NTFS
> drive).

Seems that the NSLU has known issues with slow network and NTFS even
with the latest firmware.

Just read this from the support site.

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Network_Storage&message.id=92

It suggests downloading support for ext3 for Windows as a way around
it.

Doug

--
Using a Iyonix PC and RISC OS 5.13, the thinking persons alternative
operating system to Microsoft Windows.