[iyonix-support] Re: Abyssmally slow ethernet

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:19:54 +0100
On 17 Jun 2007, John Sandford wrote:
> In message <6a0e49f44e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> [snip]
>

>> Nor is there any mention of changing the FTP settings in the WinXP
>> Setup Wizard, nor in the extremely brief paper 'manual'.
>>
>> I'm on the verge of giving up altogether on this, having spent a whole
>> week configuring the thing and still it doesn't work properly.
>>
>> I do believe it is not fit for purpose.
>>

> If you want to try, use the web interface to login to the
> administration section,choose system,drag the slider down as its near
> the bottom of the page out of sight,tick the box,if you have a nat
> router/hardware firewall you could also tick the guest users setting
> to amke it easier to login to the ftp server.
> This works well here with FTPc.

OK, found that now. you are infinitely more helpful than are the NSLU2
manuals :-)

> also try setting your Iyonix eklink settings to Auto to allow it to
> negotiate with your router to agree a connection status,it works
> better here, the nslu2 will be doing this with the router.

I have now re-set my eklink to 0 Auto, and will leave it at that
permanently now, as any further fiddling with that is futile; the
router just wont work with it set to 0 10 half/full.

> apparently this device works ok with an ntfs disc if only one is used,
> and an ext3 formatted disc is also connected as the linux OS it uses
> needs some swap space on disc to be at its best. (a swap partion is
> put on the ext3 discs by the nslu2 formatter.

I managed to FTP transfer 18MB of data before once again the NSLU2
'lost connection' with something or other.

I dont have an ext2 or ext3 drive to try. The whole point of using
NTFS drives was that at least I could read/write the data by at least
2 routes: PC and Iyonix via NSLU2. [If I have to install a ext3 reader
in a PC to enable a PC to read ext3 drives, then that isn't a real
option].

At least I can write to the NTFS drive by connecting it directly to a
PC, and going from Iyo to PC via a Share and LanMan98.

This then makes the NSLU2 device useless and un-wanted.

--

Cheers
Roger

Bury Walkers      http://burywalkers.members.beeb.net/
Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Summer Winers     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Bury Hut          http://buryhut.members.beeb.net/
Wild Flowers      http://rdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Time waits for no-one; except the man on the Black Hole Event Horizon.