RE: OT: Why Friends Don't Let Friends use RBLs

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:49:17 -0700

> I am FURIOUS at these self-appointed guardians of the internet. They
> have caused me more aggravation and more Denial-Of-Service than spam
> ever has. And that's just at home. Now, they have caused a denial of
> service at a major government installation. There are literally hundreds
> of thousands of people worldwide that depend on our e-mail system for
> everything from education to scientific research to national security.
> How many other ISP's are blocking us?

I have seen this one already, and it has been discussed at length on another
list. What this rant does not go on to explain is the fact that the admins
in charge of their e-mail server(s) refuse to take any responsibility and
fix the problems that are there. They have decided to take the approach that
we are the government, and therefore our configuration is fine.

Here is a quote from another list:

" IMHO situations such as those occurring at the Kennedy Space Center mail
servers, is simple evidence of the arrogance of system Administrators in
believing they "own" the mail boxes of those receiving the spew of unwanted
email messages, known as spam.

When any admin neglects to respond to complaints of system compromises or
spamming, I firmly believe they should have their internet privileges
suspended until they wake up and apply best practices to their own systems.

Another insecure system that is relaying a constant spew of spam is the mail
servers at va.gov.  The consequence is that they, too, are now appearing on
the DNSBLs and other blacklists. These "gummit" admins are not in some ivory
tower, and must bear a responsibility to be good "netizens" or suffer the
consequences.  All of them have failed or refused to respond to not just a
few, but thousands of complaints about their systems.

The ability of private enterprise to block incoming mail from abusive
systems cannot be considered a denial of service, but legitimate protection
of the recipient system of resources being stolen by the abusers."

Basiclly, their e-mail servers were/are being used by spammers to relay
spam. Therefore, they should be and are listed. Their admins need to get off
their buts and start cleaning up their acts.

<RANT ON>

And since Tom is the one to post this, I have no reservation about bringing
up that one of the companies attempting to come to the defense of these
admins is none other than Sunbelt itself. Sunbelt itself was listed on MAPS,
and decided to stay on it. I am sure people on here and on the
MSExchange.org site know my opinion of Sunbelt. Yes, their products are
good, but the people in charge, well, I think I will stop there.

<RANT OFF>

RBLs are great in a system that uses various tests to determine the
"spaminess" of a message. That is the key, multiple tests testing multiple
sections/parts.

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You