RE: OT: Why Friends Don't Let Friends use RBLs

  • From: "Dan Bartley" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 20:31:12 -0400

I've tested a few anti-spam solutions. The ones that let me and my test
subjects have the greatest degree of choice are the ones I like best.
Currently I am testing the new MS IMF. On my home network with my personal
domain that I paid a little more than 15 for (there are very few blanket
statements that are accurate).

It is nice so far. It certainly does not have the huge array of bells and
whistles that some commercial products have, but it is doing a pretty good
job and it is free. The nice thing is that if I don't want it to, not a
single inbound email gets thrown away. I archive the higher rated ones for
now and examine them to see how it is handling different types of email. The
lower rated go to the user's junk folder, where they can decide how it should
be handled. This is how I will roll it out at my real network (the one I get
paid for). I will likely set the gateway piece to reject when I am ready on
the test bed, but No Action at the work site and let the Junk folder handle
it.

RBLs have never done a very good job at preventing spam for me. I've tried
over a dozen systems and at most they blocked maybe 10-20% of the spam. Plus
I am a control freak (like many of the people I serve at the real network)
and do not like the idea that someone else is determining what I see or not.

At the test bed, ISA for security and access control, E2k3 and IMF for spam
control and my favorite anti-virus for all the rest. At the real network, PIX
first, then ISA, then E2k3, then anti-virus, with gateway anti-virus for
email and network borne attacks (testing the McAfee beta for ISA right now,
works well so far-single gateway for anti-virus, http filter and access
control with that solution).

Dan Bartley