[PCB_FORUM] Re: To Mentor...

  • From: Ed Caldwell <Ed.Caldwell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:03:13 -0400

Hi Gary,

Since this is an Allegro support thread, I hope I am not fueling any
debate fires. I use both Allegro and Expedition and I appreciate the help
I have received in this Forum for Allegro and I am glad when I can
possibly return help.

Expedition PCB Pinnacle is the high end and includes constraint managing,
rule exception areas, high speed geometry control and monitoring in CES.

You are well located for training in Longmont as Mentor has a training
center there. If you go, tell Larry Stones hello for me.

Mentor also has somewhat helpful online videos for training. I learned a
great deal by submitting Service Requests to their support team. I don't
mean to sound like a commercial, but I have had excellent support from
Mentor's domestic technical staff over the years.

Mentor is developing a script for Exp last I heard... and there is a keyin
command function that serves as a kind of task specific script - there are
some commands available in keyin that are not available elsewhere in the
other command menus - similar to Allegro's command line inputs.

Expedition is complex just like Allegro and the interfaces are very
different. I enjoy using both. You may be able to train quickly on your
own but familiarity and efficiency will likely develop sooner with help.

Ed
mailto:edcaldwell@xxxxxxxxxx

"Gary MacIndoe" <gary.macindoe@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: icu-pcb-forum-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/14/2006 01:39 PM
Please respond to
icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[PCB_FORUM] To Mentor...

Hey guys,

Well, it looks like I will be switching to Mentor (boo hoo!) after using
Allegro for twelve years.

Could anyone tell me which is the high end Mentor product?  Also, any tips
on learning it (I will probably get official training, but I want to get a
jump on it).

Does Mentor have scripts like Allegro, Constraint Manager etc.?

Thanks for any responses!

Gary E. MacIndoe
PCB Design Engineer
Advanced Micro Devices