Re: [icon-users] CTRL-C, CTRL-V annoyance

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:38:12 +0100

In article <4745327f52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <527dc90664riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Re: Paste into EW paragraph

> > Thanks for your replies.

> > John - Text selection indicated in structure bar not paragraph.

> > Spent the best part of a day trying to find out why this is
> > happening. The change occurs between a !Boot saved on 03-02-2010
> > and one saved on 29-07-2010. I can't be certain but this is when
> > I may have upgraded from 5.13 to 5.16. I can't believe I haven't
> > noticed this paste problem before now - eye's closed again.
> > Anyway I am unable to isolate the problem to a specific part of
> > the Boot. I have EW 8.92 running on RISC OS 5.19 on the
> > Beagleboard and paste works correctly. I think I'll have to
> > update the Iyonix to 5.18.

> I doubt that the RISC OS version has anything to do with it. The OS
> is not involved at all in what is happening here.

Absolutely correct and I now realise that updating to 5.18 would not
have made a jot of difference.

> The most logical explanation for your problem is that you have a
> rogue clipboard "helper" utility that takes clipboard ownership
> away from EasiWriter by requesting the clipboard contents in some
> standard format (e.g., text or HTML) and then claims the clipboard
> itself, i.e., an application that always downgrades the clipboard
> from any rich native format to a standard format. That would be a
> violation of the clipboard protocol though.

I looked at other clipboard apps but completely over looked UniClip -
Grrrhhhh!

> Also, it would have far more serious consequences than just
> inserting pasted text as a new paragraph: It would also remove a
> lot of information from the copied text, i.e., downgrade it to
> plain text without any font changes etc.

> I had a suspicion, so I have just checked it and I can confirm that
> UniPrint's "UniClip" feature does indeed break the RISC OS
> clipboard in the way I describe above. This is why I have switched
> that feature off in UniPrint. I remember discussing this problem
> with Alan Wrigley, but somehow we did not reach a conclusion back
> then.

That's the one - yes if you have UniClip clipboard function enabled
you get precisely the problem I've outlined - apparently you posted
this information here earlier but somehow I missed it. What a shame
you and Alan didn't reach a conclusion as to how to work-around this
issue because I use this RISC OS/Windows clipboard tool quite a lot.

> It is possible to implement a feature like UniClip without
> disturbing other applications. The Select ClipboardHolder module
> does something similar, and that works correctly.

> It is precisely problems like this that prompted David Pilling to
> make the use of the system-wide clipboard (the "Universal
> clipboard") optional in OvationPro. Such a step should not be
> necessary though and I will not do that for EasiWriter. Other
> applications should obey the protocol.

Fair point.

> So, for the time being, the conclusion is that UniPrint's UniClip
> feature stops EasiWriter/TechWriter from copying/pasting correctly
> and I recommend switching UniClip off (can be done in !UniCtrl).

Now disabled. So many wasted hours but you have given me a 'temporary'
solution - just as well its easy to disable/enable.

Thanks Martin.

Richard