Re: [icon-users] Plus ca change

  • From: John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:12:23 +0100

Martin

Thanks for the explanation

> There are scenarios that cause a document to be changed when it is
> loaded:

> a) the document has date/time macros in it and the date format is
>    set to "always update" ("Format => Set date format")

n/a in this case

> b) the document uses fonts that are not present and is reflowed when
>    it is loaded to match substituted fonts

n/a in this case

> c) the document is slightly broken and is repaired on loading

Given that documents occasionally get broken, that is presumably what
happens in this case.

Thinking on from that ...

'Slightly broken'  presumably means something is inconsistent, but  there
is enough redundancy in the structure to detect and repair it.

Broken (as opposed to slightly broken) documents are presumably the ones
that EW warns me about and saves a separate copy, which presumably means
there is enough redundancy to detect the inconsistency but not to correct
it.

I don't think I have ever had a damaged document that didn't seem to work
OK, apart from the error message every time I save it.  Obviously that's
not a reason to ignore the warning, but it means that my practical problem
is always 'how can I get rid of the damaged status while retaining my
data'.

Usually I use the previous clean version and carefully copy the recently
edited bits from the damaged version, taking care to copy content (text or
raw images) rather than structure (which seems to be what gets broken).
That might mean having to create some new structures and copy the content
across  It can get quite fiddly (eg trying to select all the text of a
section without selecting the section body) and it is a pain with a few
nested structures.

That's all when you are in editing mode, where you know which paragraph you
were working on.  A much bigger pain is when you are in proofreading and
edit mode, where you can make lots of changes all over the document between
auto-saves.  If only there were a way to know where the broken bit was.

Does anyone have any handy tips for quickly and effectively coping with
'corrupted documents'?  They don't happen often, but they are a pain when
they do.

Regards

--
John Harrison