Re: [icon-users] Plus ca change

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:36:57 +0200

In message <527f39851ajohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin Wuerthner wrote:

>> There are scenarios that cause a document to be changed when it is
>> loaded:

>> a) the document has date/time macros in it and the date format is
>>    set to "always update" ("Format => Set date format")

> n/a in this case

>> b) the document uses fonts that are not present and is reflowed when
>>    it is loaded to match substituted fonts

> n/a in this case

>> c) the document is slightly broken and is repaired on loading

> Given that documents occasionally get broken, that is presumably what
> happens in this case.

> Thinking on from that ...

> 'Slightly broken'  presumably means something is inconsistent, but  there
> is enough redundancy in the structure to detect and repair it.

> Broken (as opposed to slightly broken) documents are presumably the ones
> that EW warns me about and saves a separate copy, which presumably means
> there is enough redundancy to detect the inconsistency but not to correct
> it.

No, not really. The ones EW warns you about are only "slightly
broken", too, in the above sense. In fact, most of the time they are
not broken at all. They are just in a state that suggests that they
*might* be broken.

For instance, when there is a crash while you change the document, EW
usually recovers, but since whatever was done to the document was
interrupted, the document could be in an inconsistent state. When you
save such a document and reload it EW notices that it has not been
processed completely and warns you.

As far as I know cases b) and c) always show a warning, so if you do
not get a warning, it must be case a) or some other cases not listed
above.

Martin