[openbeos] Re: need help, file copying problems!

  • From: "Kevin Field" <kev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:41:35 -0400 EDT

> POWER SUPPLY -   Perhaps your power supply is  going bad.
> This apparently is common failing of the 'cheap' power supply units
> they put
> into many store assembled PC's.  It happened to me.
> My boot disk went 'bad'.  I replaced it.  It worked for about 2
> months
> and then the new disk went 'bad' also.
> It Turned out that the power supply was slowly failing and some
> voltages were
> degrading. A new power supply - and suddenly both my 'bad' disks were
> fine again.

I left it running and tried the voltmeter now and then on it for a
couple of hours, getting only a clean 5V.  But now I'm starting to have
problems again.  :(  Do you know the nature of the degradation?  Does
it run fine for long periods of time but once in awhile (and then more
frequently) drop way below spec?  I was assuming that if it wasn't
showing any signs after a few hours, it's probably fine, but I'm
probably wrong.  :)  If that's the case, I'll try replacing it anyway
and see how it runs.

Thanks,

Kev

Kevin Field