[openbeos] Re: need help, file copying problems!

  • From: "Larry Baydak" <lbaydak@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:01:25 -0400 EDT

This information may be redundant - forgive me for boring you.

SCSI -  Must have termination at both  'ends'  of the cable.
          - The controller card/motherboard usually has termination
built in.
             So that end of the cable is already taken care of.
          - However - the other 'end'  of the cable can either be a
SCSI
             device with  termination  enabled.  Or an actual SCSI
termination plug.
          -  Some SCSI devices may not  have  any termination
capability.
             So they should not be used at the end of the cable.
           -  Finally - only use one termination device for each end.
Having  two
              or more terminating devices (or termination plugs)  on
the outboard
              end of the cable will also prevent SCSI from working.

I have one other suggestion.

POWER SUPPLY -   Perhaps your power supply is  going bad.
This apparently is common failing of the 'cheap' power supply units
they put
into many store assembled PC's.  It happened to me.
My boot disk went 'bad'.  I replaced it.  It worked for about 2 months
and then the new disk went 'bad' also.
It Turned out that the power supply was slowly failing and some
voltages were
degrading. A new power supply - and suddenly both my 'bad' disks were
fine again.