[openbeos] Re: need help, file copying problems!

  • From: "m.madia" <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:38:20 -0400 EDT

> > Used to be with SCSI you'd get the drives locking up if the
> > termination wasn't done right, but only when transferring a lot of
> data.  But that's not your problem.  Might be loose IDE data and
> power
> cables.  But likely not.
>
> I'm a SCSI newbie, but I have it plugged in the same way it was with
> the server it was in, using only the endmost connector.  The other
> connectors don't have termination caps or anything on them...should
> they?  Anyway, maybe I'll put that IDE back in.  I did check the IDE
> and power cables a few times too though.

As AGMS was saying, only the end of the scsi chain needs to be
terminated.

as a chain has two ends...

1.make sure the host adapter ( PCI card / motherboard connector ) is
Terminated.

2.If your scsi cable does not have a dedicated terminator,
then you need to find documentation for your hard drive.
find what jumpers you need to set for "termination on" and set them.

Re-check this several times.
Impromper SCSI termination can mess up data transfers of anysize.

A quick and easy test to see if your problem is SCSI related:
 rip it out,  do the file transfers on the same ide disk  ( folder to
new folder )

If figuring out the scsi termination settings give you grief, hop on
beshare / irc and feel free to nudge me :-)

mmadia