[openbeos] need help, file copying problems!

  • From: "Kevin Field" <kev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:05:16 -0400 EDT

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me.  I'm running R5.0.3.  I had Tracker.NewFS
installed, IDE replacement drivers, and probably some other relevant
things I'm forgetting.  Anyway, everything was working fine until
recently.  I always did a daily backup to a second hard disk using
SmartCopy, which has worked flawlessly since September.  Anyway, a few
weeks ago I changed my motherboard to an identical one (I was just
changing cases) and added a SCSI server card and a SCSI drive.  These
have worked fine, and I had even copied all my oggs and videos to the
SCSI drive with no problems.

What started happening within the last week or so is SmartCopy would be
unkillable, and would never finish.  Actually, a couple days before
that, cvs was KDLing, and sometimes CL-Amp and vlc would KDL.  Just to
rule out SmartCopy, I disabled it from Scheduler until I could look
into it further.  I've tried all sorts of things, like copying from
Tracker after reinitializing the partition on the spare IDE drive I'm
copying to, to taking it out and trying just to copy to the SCSI drive,
to replacing Tracker with an older version, to using just cp, to doing
a fresh R5 install on a spare partition and testing before and after
adding various patches (5.0.1, 5.0.3, new OpenTracker but not .NewFS,
IDE replacement drivers), to booting off the CD and only mounting the
two drives I'm copying between and using cp, to many combinations of
the above.  As it stands, the IDE drive I took out would not reformat
for some reason (General OS error) while the SCSI would do it fine, so
I thought it was a problem with that drive.  Now because I can't even
boot off the CD and do a straight "cp -av" without it stopping partway
through, I think it might be my main IDE drive, but chkbfs runs fine on
it always, and it does on every other drive except after a freeze,
crash, or KDL, until I reinitialize them.  I'm running chkindex now,
and everything seems fine, except this troubling bit:

Check "BEOS:APP_SIG" index's on-disk structure...
       18 node(s) processed (2 free node(s)).
Check for non-existing files in index "BEOS:APP_SIG"...
  inode at (24, 704), offset 393920, doesn't exist! (string =
"application/x-vnd.Be-KERN")
Check for files not in index "BEOS:APP_SIG" (this may take even more
time)...
    32174 files processed.

What's strange is that my system works fine besides all this.  I can
surf the web and write e-mails and run queries with no problems.  It's
only on operations involving lots of files that the system seems to go
belly-up, whether it be unkillable apps, Tracker crashes, KDLs...(seems
to be different every time depending on the situation.)

Uh oh, chkindex just said this:

  inode at (48, 6342), offset 792774, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683201349177")
  inode at (48, 6347), offset 792779, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683201724738")
  inode at (48, 6348), offset 792780, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683202237328")
  inode at (48, 6349), offset 792781, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683233487852")
  inode at (48, 6350), offset 792782, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683234009853")
  inode at (48, 6351), offset 792783, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683234389381")
  inode at (48, 6352), offset 792784, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683234760745")
  inode at (48, 6353), offset 792785, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683235232137")
  inode at (48, 6354), offset 792786, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683235551440")
  inode at (48, 6355), offset 792787, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683235949299")
  inode at (48, 6356), offset 792788, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683236317401")
  inode at (48, 6357), offset 792789, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683236658963")
  inode at (48, 6358), offset 792790, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683236990953")
  inode at (48, 6359), offset 792791, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683237380519")
  inode at (48, 6360), offset 792792, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683237768846")
  inode at (48, 6361), offset 792793, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683284442184")
  inode at (48, 6362), offset 792794, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683285504720")
  inode at (48, 6364), offset 792796, doesn't exist! (string =
"1090683286522382")

...times about 10.  :(

Anyway, does anybody know what the heck is going on?  Is my main IDE
drive bad?  If so, how can I get all my files off before the thing
really dies, without using 10 CDRs or a network?

I'd really appreciate any help or clues on this.

Thanks,

Kev

Kevin Field
Disciple-in-Training