[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:11:11 -0700

Hi Axel,

Axel Dörfler wrote:
"Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Charlie Clark wrote:
This sounds good but what about the reality: the handful of real Haiku developers don't need to give each other presentations. I know, I've hassled them often enough about it.
What can I tell you: hassling the engineers it's part of the making a good show. You don't have to like it, the engineers may not like, but that's the reality.

Approved :-)

It's the small group mentality; nothing wrong with it, but I am hoping that Haiku (and Waltercon) will outgrow it for its own benefit. You are going to get more of the much needed developers sooner that way.

I am not sure a separate WalterCon would drag that many people that makes it a worthwhile effort yet. I think it makes sense to do a piggyback event at this point, and BeGeistert would be a good platform for it.

It definitely has the potential to attract new developers. But it would have to be though out and planned accordingly, quite differently from the WC and BG mindset. It's a different crowd that you would be targeting, so it requires a change in approach. Nicholas Blachford puts it quite nicely, actualy:

We just need to make the WalterCon part of BeGeistert a "little more" structured and organized.

WC as a subset of BG may certainly seem practical. But then, I would not expect attracting many beyond the circle of regulars. So I go back to one of my initial statements: if Haiku wants to cater to a broader audience beyond the small BeOS circle...

Cheers,

Koki