[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:25:35 +0200

Cian Duffy wrote (2007-04-25, 11:39:18 [+0200]):
> On 25/04/07, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > On 2007-04-25 at 10:49:46 [+0200], Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Probably the biggest thing in the way is organisation - wouldn't
> > > want to burden any of the developers with that task - but there is
> > no-one
> > > in Europe similar to mphipps or koki-before-he-left.
> >
> > The BeGeistert team provides for a lot of infra structure like power
> > cords,
> > network hubs etc, they handle registration and manage the event on site.
> > But the actual organization of the event in terms of booking a place isn't
> > _that_ much work. The bigger problem is that for such a large group,
> > places
> > like the hostel I booked for BeGeistert one year ago will not be available
> > anymore. You have to book several months in advance to get the conference
> > rooms, and there are not many hostels large enough. I have no clue about
> > alternatives to youth hostels, but I would assume there are some.
>

> The alternative to a youth hostel is a hotel - at least here in Ireland it
> is. Virtually all hotels have large function rooms or conference centres
> with power and internet for attendees computers, and will bargain deals for
> rooms and food at reduced rates for attendees. On the less-combined level,
> many large bars have function rooms, but they're unlikely to have internet.
>
> Assuming an Autumn date, organising a "Waltercon Europe" in Ireland wouldn't
> be that difficult or necessarily too expensive. I'm sure other countries are
> the same.

From what I have heard so far, the next BeGeistert will happen this Autumn. I
would not want to create a competing event. IMHO, if we want to organize an
event, it should happen the beginning of this Summer to compensate for the
skipped BeGeistert.

Ronny, could you do some searching if an inexpensive place (~40 EUR/night
including breakfast & lunch) would _theoretically_ be available in your area
over a weekend around early summer? The conference room would need to hold up
to 40 people. Ideally, we would be allowed to store our own drinks (water,
cola, sprite, beer) in or nearby the conference room. A second, smaller room
to host beamer presentations would be good.

Best regards,
-Stephan