[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <iradema@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:25:50 +0200

Hi All,

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 02:43 -0400, Koki wrote:
> I agree with Bryan. I am a firm believer that WalterCon has great
> potential as a tool to grow the developer's community. But I also
> think that for this potential to be realized there needs to be radical
> change on how this event is approached, from the small circle get
> together that it is now into a more organized and thought out event
> that caters to a wider audience with content that has *compelling*
> perceived value.
>
> I suggested that WC be held in Europe this year because most of the
> active Haiku developers are there, so your chances of getting more of
> them under the same roof is much higher, increasing thus the
> possibility of putting together a program that can be *more*
> attractive to a *broader* target audience.

Finally I get a chance to disagree with you Koki :)

I think WalterCon should stay in the USA. Not that I wouldn't like to
meet Michael Phipps again, or any of the other American Haiku devs, but
because we have an event in Europe (BeGeistert), and the more 'ground'
we cover, the better.

However, we could have BeGeistert first (time-line wise), and if we
could actually prepare material for this, share this with the people
organizing WalterCon. That way we would share the effort on content.

BeGeistert's content has always been determined by the people visiting,
and while a lot of BeOS developers and users were always there, the
content has been limited quite often, just because too few people
prepared something more then a small presentation (myself included).

So I think we would be better off starting a discussion what kind of
content we would like to handle on these more technically oriented
meetings, and if other people step up, I would be more then willing to
create some presentation(s) about e.g. driver development or some such.

Lets start with focusing on the content first, and then see if there's
an actual need to move WalterCon out of the USA.

HTH,

Ithamar.